Founded in the UK in 1991 and now with more than 50 outlets, Las Iguanas is a casual dining restaurant chain specialising in authentic Latin American food and drink.
Location – UK
Sector – Branded Theme Restaurants
Client Since – 2015
Casual Dining Group (CDG) approached us to help them merge Las Iguanas into their portfolio and, at the same time, integrate the La Tasca restaurant chain into the Las Iguanas brand. The main challenge centred on complying with complex merger legislation and avoiding pitfalls within it, whilst maintaining focus on CDG’s BAU objectives.
There was a lot to think about here in delivering the concurrent CDG, Las Iguanas and La Tasca objectives. Specifically:
- We reviewed the existing business structures and recommended how best to merge them to meet the needs of the newly-integrated business.
- We audited the different terms and conditions between the 3 businesses and determined which ones were to be kept brand-specific and which were to be replaced with company-wide Ts & Cs. This also involved advising on what non-contractual benefits could be removed without diminishing employees’ packages.
- We introduced a gentle TUPE approach for those needing to relocate to new teams and initiated a harmonisation process to set future joint Ts & Cs and benefits covering: renumeration, bonus, pension and holiday allowance; healthcare provision; company car scheme; EAPs; meals and discounts; and tips and tronc.
- We realigned the differing pay frequencies and payroll processes in line with appropriate legislative consultation and communication, and ensured that there was consistency in the employee offer across all contracts, paperwork and marketing literature.
- We liaised with external trade union and employee representatives, to manage any terms and condition changes or potential disputes.
- We evaluated working processes of front-line operations and implemented various people initiatives, such as RTW, online training portals, launch training, apprenticeships and charity sponsorship.
“The People Factor’s blend of expertise, can do attitude, flexibility and engaging personal style have been a real asset during our integration programme. At times like this when deep expertise, broad experience and well-developed stakeholder management skills are essential to make things happen. The People Factor have helped us feel that ‘we can do it’. They have also been attentive to the little details which make all the difference between making a smooth change and starting a riot”