DUCK & RICE
Founded by Alan Yau and set in the beating heart of Soho’s Berwick street Market, Duck & Rice is a pub and restaurant specialising in Asian sharing cuisine. It has fast become a staple of the London eating and drinking scene.
Location – London
Sector – Asian food-led bar & restaurant
Client Since – 2017
Duck & Rice wanted to outsource the HR function for the business – to include the actual venue, with 80+ employees, and the wider corporate business.
After a strategic review of the existing HR practices it was recognised that, with such a successful brand, further expansion nationally and internationally was likely and this meant that whilst ensuring ‘everyday’ HR was in place we also had to ensure best practice was employed the business in place in readiness for it to multiply globally.
To add to these HR challenges the workforce of Duck & Rice span the width of the globe – with the majority not having English as their first language.
Initially audited all processes, polices and HR interventions to provide a plan of action to ensure business was compliant across all HR and Health & Safety regulations.
- Provided a dedicated People Factor team member to become Duck & Rice HR liaison. They have worked closely with the Operations Manager and management team to provide regular ongoing support for the last 3 years
- Resolved risk areas including sponsorship licence, Right to Work processes, statutory training requirements and policies and procedures.
- We wrote processes and policies in line with the company culture, ensuring strict adherence to recently-introduced data protection and HMRC guidelines.
- Sourced training in Chinese for all kitchen teams.
- Creating Training Documents and eLearning to ensure brand standards and continuity across all departments in readiness for expansion.
- Training interventions and courses to develop Management team
Let Richard Littman, Operations Director, of Duck & Rice explain how he views his relationship with The People Factor and the benefits our team bring to his business.
“Working with The People Factor has allowed the business to get into shape very quickly and target specific areas such as training and staff engagement. The People Factor have helped us understand new legislation and communicated it to the team, so they understand. The People Factor are able to react to emergency situations with quick and effective responses making us feel safe.”
Operations Director – Duck & Rice