Byron is a British casual dining restaurant chain renowned for its burgers and craft beers. Founded in 2007, it introduced the premium burger concept to the UK and now operates 52 restaurants nationwide employing around 1,200 staff.
Location – Nationwide
Sector – Casual Dining Restaurants
Client Since – 2018
Byron approached us primarily to help them develop a new culture within the business. This included a range of people challenges: supporting and conducting full Right to Work, HMRC and GDPR audits, running new training programmes and, as part of our ongoing, ad-hoc recruitment support, helping them recruit a long-term Head of People to continue to build and drive the culture programme.
We focused on several areas to help devise and implement the new culture objectives. Specifically: –
- We facilitated key team members’ buy-in which was critical for achieving significant change within the business.
- We reviewed the existing processes and procedures linked to Right to Work, retrained key recruiting managers and implemented new software to support all future checks.
- We carried out additional audits to ensure that the business was complying with HMRC and GDPR regulations and provided updates and practical guidance where necessary.
- We reviewed and updated the organisation’s whole approach to recruitment and the employee journey within the business; from initial application right the way through to training and sign-off.
- We liaised closely with the CEO, COO and executive board to ensure that all aspects of the people strategy were up to date and aligned; and developed a new Byron & Me employee brand to further increase employee engagement. This focused heavily on building trust and recognising and rewarding best practice across the business.
- We reviewed, updated and approved all regulatory literature to ensure it was legally compliant and complemented the new business strategy. This included the employee handbook and contracts as well as all policies and procedures.
- Until the new Head of People was in post, we handled everything that needed doing around employee relations (e.g. grievance, disciplinaries, employee enquiries) as well as developing additional policies, training Operations Managers and running open and induction days to boost recruitment and retention.
Simon Wilkinson, Byron’s CEO, was happy to share how he uses the team at The People Factor to help support his HR team at both operational and strategic level.
They always deliver…
“If I was stood at the bar with a friend or colleague and they had some people or organisational issues, I’d say, ‘Give The People Factor a call – they’ll have the right person to help you and your business. They’ll solve your problems!’”
CEO – Byron